03 January 2015

Safe Haven by Anna Schmidt


Goodreads | Amazon
When journalist Suzanne Randolph hears about FDR’s plan to bring a boatload of displaced WWII refugees to America, she knows it may be her last chance to redeem her flagging career. Suzanne follows the story to Oswego, New York, where she meets Theo Bridgewater, a Quaker dairy farmer from Wisconsin who has come to reunite with his uncle and aunt and cousin. Theo’s fight to spare his relatives the return to Germany becomes Suzanne’s fight as she does everything that the “power of the pen” can muster to help win public sympathy for the cause.

Safe Haven by Anna Schmidt is another one of those World War II novels focusing on an aspect of the war I hadn’t known before. As Suzanne and Theo work with the refugees sent to Fort Ontario in Oswego, New York, I found their story to be fascinating. Schmidt brings the struggle to life and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. From start to finish, I was captivated and wondered what the outcome would be. It’s a wonderful historical novel and I would recommend it to fans of the genre.

Thanks to Goodreads First Reads, I won a copy of Safe Haven. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment