12 August 2016

Saffire by Sigmund Brouwer

★★★★★
Take a sneak peek into Saffire here.
Goodreads | Amazon
I reminded myself that once you start to defend someone, it’s difficult to find a place to stop. But I went ahead and took that first step anyway...

For President Teddy Roosevelt, controlling the east-west passage between two oceans mattered so much that he orchestrated a revolution to control it. His command was to ‘let the dirt fly’ and for years, the American Zone of the Panama Canal mesmerized the world, working in uneasy co-existence with the Panamanian aristocrats. 

It’s in this buffered Zone where, in 1909, James Holt takes that first step to protect a defenseless girl named Saffire, expecting a short and simple search for her mother. Instead it draws him away from safety, into a land haunted by a history of pirates, gold runners, and plantation owners, all leaving behind ghosts of their interwoven desires sins and ambitions, ghosts that create the web of deceit and intrigue of a new generation of revolutionary politics. It will also bring him together with a woman who will change his course—or bring an end to it.

A love story set within a historical mystery, Saffire brings to vibrant life the most impressive-and embattled- engineering achievement of the twentieth-century.

Sigmund Brouwer writes great historical fiction. A couple years ago, I loved reading Thief of Glory, and now, I can say I loved reading Saffire, too.

Saffire pulled me into a story of adventure, mystery, politics, and romance, set in a time and place I knew little about, and I couldn’t read it fast enough. The historical details intrigued me - I absolutely loved getting to experience the world surrounding the Panama Canal - and the plotline captivated me. It’s a novel that won’t disappoint fans of historical fiction; I highly recommend it.

Thanks to Blogging for Books, I received a copy of Saffire and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this book. I have not heard of it, but am a big fan of Brouwer's. Sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to read it!

      Delete