11 October 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Read Because of a Recommendation

Hosted weekly by The Broke and the Bookish.



Christy by Catherine Marshall:
As I mentioned in a Friday56 weeks ago, my mother has been recommending this book to be for years. Finally, I read it and really enjoyed it.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer:
This book I received as a recommendation from a few of my college English professors, so naturally, it did not disappoint when I got around to reading it a few months ago.


The Rook by Steven James:
I decided to pick up the first book in the Patrick Bowers Files, The Pawn, on my own, but because all the readers in my family love the entire series, I decided to pick up the second one (even with years between readings).

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan:
My brother basically only reads the Ranger's Apprentice series, so a couple years ago, I read this first book. While I wasn't a huge fan of it, I enjoyed it enough that I'm considering continuing it simply because he enjoys it so much.


Earlier this year, I joined a book club through work, and since we take turns picking the book to read each month, I've had the pleasure of reading books I wouldn't normally pick up on my own, including:

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore


I'm not sure if this entirely counts as a "recommendation," but because of Book of the Month, I've recently read even more excellent books I would ordinarily pick up on my own:

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles


And like Book of the Month, another book subscription service - Uppercase Box - has me bumping books (that might have already been on my TBR list) to the top, since they're highly recommended and really, really good:

Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
P.S. I Like You by Kasie West


So... what books have you read based on a recommendation?

No comments:

Post a Comment