26 April 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookworm Delights

Hosted weekly by The Broke and the Bookish.

-Book mail: Finally getting to hold in my hands a book I've been eager to read never fails to make me smile. Just yesterday, I came home from work to find The Nest and Her One and Only waiting for me on the porch - happy day.

-Thrift store finds: I love thrift stores, and I love hunting through filled shelves of donated books in search of ones I've been meaning to read (or, perhaps, ones I read and loved, but borrowed from the library). It's great fun for me (though my roommates have to roll their eyes every time I go) and I've been able to make some exciting finds recently.

-Folding a page corner: I know that for many book lovers folding the corner of a page is a big no-no. But for me, it always gives me an extra moment of happiness in my reading experience - I don't know why; I just love it.

-Reading the last page: This, I'm sure, is another big no-no for most book lovers. I know it's cheating a bit, but I can't help myself. I like knowing how a book ends before knowing how it gets there. 

-Finding someone else who likes the same books: Most of my friends are occasional readers, at best, and rarely do we read the same types of books. I don't often have opportunities to gush about books in person and with someone who understands, so when I do, it sure is a treat. Not too long ago, a friend and I realized we both loved the Christiansen Family series - that was a fun lunch.

-Rereading a good book: I don't do reread often, since my TBR list is miles long. But occasionally, I'll make time for a book I've already read and remember loving (but usually not too many other details beyond that). I love revisiting wonderful characters and rediscovering why I enjoyed it so much the first time.

-Understanding a character's reference to another book: A spark of delight always shoots through me when I come across a literary reference I understand because it's to a book I've read. It makes me feel so in-the-know. (I also really enjoy the reverse - finally reading a book I remember being referenced in a different one I read.)


So, tell me - what are your bookworm delights?

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you read the last page! Thrift store books are my absolute favourite! I've found plane tickets, post cards, annotations, and so many other things in second hand books after bringing them home.

    ReplyDelete