18 October 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Character Names I'd Consider Using on a Child

Hosted weekly by The Broke and the Bookish.

It's time to talk about character names. Plenty of book characters make me consider the merits of various names (though I'm not at all close to having children), and the list below contains a few of my favorites: 


Amelia of Like Never Before: A classic, classy name. Plus Amelia Bentley is a clever, stubborn, driven character, and a child would be lucky to share a name with her.

Beatrice of Much Ado About Nothing: Well, I should say that I love this story as a whole. But I also have a particular fondness for the character of Beatrice, since she's witty, stubborn, and smart (much like Amelia, apparently). So, I don't even care that it's a touch old-fashioned - Beatrice is a great name.

Edmund of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Listening to Prince Caspian recently has me thinking about the name Edmund. Not only is it a solid, strong name on its own, but when combined with the character's redemption in the Narnia series, any child with this name should have a lot of potential.

Eleanor of Eleanor & Park: It should be clear by now that I have an affinity for old-fashioned, classic names, and obviously, Eleanor has to be on my list. I like this character in this book, and I happen to really like her name, too. Pretty simple. 

Gideon of Their Fractured Light: My love for this name began with the biblical hero, and for this reason, I'm automatically fond of most characters who share this name. The Gideon of the Starbound series is a hacker with plenty of street smarts and the ability to save the day, all very useful and promising qualities.

Harriet of Harriet the Spy: This name actually made the list primarily because Grey's Anatomy made me think about it. When a baby received this name recently on the show, my roommate hated it, while I decided I quite liked it. It reminds me of the classic children's book sleuth, even though I haven't read that book in many, many years, and it feels full of determination and purpose.

Lucy of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: This name is just cute and makes me think that any child bearing this name would be adorable. Also, with the encouragement of Lucy Pevensie's persistent childlike faith, I don't think I could go wrong with the name of Lucy.

Ronald of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Now, this choice is strictly based on my love of J.K. Rowling's character. On its own, I could take or leave this name. But because my love for Ron Weasley has endured for nearly a decade, I would feel no shame in naming a child of mine after this goofy, bumbling, loyal sidekick.

Zerubbabel of Return to Me: (Well, I haven't actually read this book and thus can't confirm Zerubbabel's character within it - but I remember him being mentioned in the second Restoration Chronicles book, so I'm just going with it...) I kinda fell in love with this name during college, since it's pretty epic, and jokingly said it would be my firstborn's name. I know, I know, it would probably be cruel to name a child Zerubbabel... It might be a (slightly) better option for a pet, but I'm not really a pet person, so my options are limited here. Sorry, kid.

Honorable Mention
Sheldon of The Big Bang Theory: I couldn't make a name list without mentioning Sheldon, even though the source is a TV show. Sheldon Cooper is, by far, my favorite BBT character, with a perfect amount of brains and quirks to be thoroughly entertaining, so I can't help but love his name.


What character names do you love?

3 comments:

  1. Amelia, Eleanor and Lucy, love all of these names! So lovely. :) Gideon is a really good pick too! Fun list, Hallie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia is such a pretty name! It's a new favorite although I like when it's spelled "Emilia" kind of different in sound...well I guess it depends on where you're from. Great TOP 10! :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Lucy! Here is my list http://videoclimbersvariations.blogspot.com/2016/10/top-ten-tuesday-ten-characters-i-would.html

    ReplyDelete