01 November 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books to Read If Your Book Club Likes Surprising Twists

Hosted weekly by The Broke and the Bookish.

I love a book that surprises me—especially one with a twist that catches me completely off guard, changes my entire perspective of the story, and makes me want to talk about it. Now, I don't spoil the experience of these books, so I won't say too much—just, if you and your book club like a twist or two, consider picking up one of the following books.

(As I compiled this list, I realized I had several similarities to this Buzzfeed list... So, check that out, too!) 



And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie: A masterfully told mystery, as characters die one by one at the hands of a deliberate and well-concealed murderer.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: Just a dark, twisted, crazy husband-versus-wife thriller.


I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh: Alternating character perspectives gradually reveal the unexpected truth behind a fatal hit-and-run car accident.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel: A fantastical adventure of shipwreck and survival and zoo animals and storytelling.


Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz: Perfect for fans of Sherlock Holmes, this mystery plays quite the narrative trick.
The Progeny by Tosca Lee: In the wake of memory loss, the characters who can be trusted change with each new twist and turn in the struggle to stay alive.


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: In this dystopic story full of supernatural powers and clear-cut class divisions, "anyone can betray anyone."
Thr3e by Ted Dekker: The first thriller I ever read, it has a sinister and dangerous plot where nothing is as it seems.


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: A group of friends, a private island, and a whole lot of secrets.
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead: As a Newbery Winner, it's a younger read than my other choices, but still worth reading as the main character reacts to a series of mysterious letters. (Read especially if you enjoy A Wrinkle in Time.)


What book surprised you with its twist?

No comments:

Post a Comment