17 December 2014

Price of Privilege by Jessica Dotta

Goodreads | Amazon
Having finally discovered the truth of her birthright, Julia Elliston is determined to outwit Chance Macy at his own game. Holding a secret he’d kill to keep, however, is proving more difficult than she imagined.

Just when Julia thinks she’s managed to untangle herself from Macy’s clutches, he changes tactics with a risky ploy. As the scandal of the century breaks loose, drawing rooms all over London whisper what so far newspapers have not dared to print: Macy’s lost bride is none other than Lord Pierson’s daughter - and one of the most controversial cases of marital law ever seen comes before Victorian courts.

Though Julia knows Macy’s version of events is another masterful manipulation, public opinion is swaying in his favor. Caught in a web of deceit and lies, armed only with a fledgling faith, Julia must face her fiercest trial yet.

I really, really wanted to enjoy Jessica Dotta’s Price of Privilege, but had to put it down after a few chapters. Because I have not read the two previous novels in the series, Born of Persuasion and Mark of Distinction, I did not understand a lot of what happen. I kept hoping my guessing and assuming could pull me easily through the book, but I quickly realized there were just too many references to recent events and backstory for me to truly understand the characters and their circumstances.

However, from the first chapters, I gleaned enough to make me eager to start the series from the beginning, just so I can enjoy this third novel. Price of Privilege continues the story started in and carried through the previous two novels. I loved the writing style Dotta uses, smooth and lyrical, with plenty of foreshadowing. With what seems to be plenty of romance, drama and danger, Dotta’s series is exactly what I love to read and I think other fans of historical fiction will enjoy it - just be sure to start with the first book.

Thanks to Tyndale BlogNetwork, I received a copy of Price of Privilege and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment