05 February 2015

The Abbot's Agreement by Mel Starr


Goodreads | Amazon
A new and disturbing puzzle for the medieval surgeon-turned-sleuth.

Master Hugh de Singleton is making his way toward Oxford when he discovers the corpse of a young Benedictine not half a mile from the nearby abbey.

The abbey's novice master confirms the boy's identity; it is John, one of three novices. He had gone missing four days previous, and yet his corpse is fresh. There has been plague in the area, but this was not the cause of death – the lad has been stabbed in the back. To Hugh’s sinking heart, the abbot has a commission for him.

With realistic medical procedures of the period, droll medieval wit, and a consistent underlying sense of Christian compassion, the seventh in the chronicles of Hugh de Singleton will delight medieval history and crime fiction fans alike.

The Abbot’s Agreement by Mel Starr was my first venture into the Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon and I think it proved worthwhile. Though this book is the seventh in the series, I enjoyed and understood it quite well on its own. Set in the medieval era, The Abbot’s Agreement intrigued me with its history and mystery, and I loved seeing the investigation of the murder unfold within the medieval limitations. I must admit, the pace is a bit slow, so it took me a while to really get into the story, but all in all, The Abbot’s Agreement is a compelling and satisfying mystery to read.

Thanks to Kregel Publications, I received a copy of The Abbot’s Agreement and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment