09 September 2016

The Friday 56: Austenland

Hosted weekly by Freda's Voice.
  
Happy Friday!

This week I had the pleasure of reading Shannon Hale's Austenland. It's a lot of Jane-Austen-y fun, so I couldn't help but share it.


"'You're hoping that Amelia Heartwright is an old, unattractive thing and that the boys won't like her at all. Am I right?' Miss Charming bobbed on her toes."


A photo posted by @h.szott on


Goodreads Synopsis:
Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined.  
Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen;or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?

What do you think? Do you read Jane-Austen-themed books?

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun and entertaining book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was!
      Thanks for stopping by, Heather!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big fan of Jane Austen but I do have this book on my TBR mountain. I'll get to it one day.This week I am spotlighting Project Elfhome by Wen Spencer - a linked short story collection. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's definitely worth a try!
      Thanks for stopping by, Kathy!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! I'll read this book for sure.
    My Friday post features CHESTNUT STREET by Maeve Binchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it!
      Thanks for stopping by, Sandra!

      Delete
  4. I can relate to her obsession. LOL Can't tell you how many times I watched the movie.

    My Friday 56 from Doggone It

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've heard - shamefully, I haven't watched it (yet!)...
      Thanks for stopping by, Laura!

      Delete
  5. Love it!!! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to try this! Happy reading.


    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get the chance to read it soon!
      Thanks for stopping by, Lauren!

      Delete
  7. I loved Austenland and I am still on the waiting list for the second one. Thanks for reminding me to check where I am on the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read that one, too - hope you get it soon!
      Thanks for stopping by, Nicole!

      Delete