17 April 2020

The Big Four | First Line Friday + The Friday 56

First Line Friday is hosted weekly by Hoarding Books.
The Friday 56 is hosted weekly by Freda's Voice.

Happy Friday!

I have a lot of books I want to read this weekend (impending digital due dates and all that), and in that stack is this classic Agatha Christie mystery.


First Line: I have met people who enjoy a channel crossing; men who can sit calmly in their deck-chairs and, on arrival, wait until the boat is moored, then gather their belongings together without fuss and disembark.

From Page 56: Very few minutes elapsed before we heard a noise in the corridor outside. The key was turned and the door flung open.




ABOUT THE BOOK

Famed private eye Hercule Poirot tackles international intrigue and espionage in this classic Agatha Christie mystery.

Framed in the doorway of Hercule Poirot's bedroom stands an uninvited guest, coated from head to foot in dust. The man stares for a moment, then he sways and falls. Who is he? Is he suffering from shock or just exhaustion? Above all, what is the significance of the figure 4, scribbled over and over again on a sheet of paper?

Poirot finds himself plunged into a world of international intrigue, risking his life—and that of his "twin brother"—to uncover the truth.



Now, feel free to leave a line from a book near you in the comments below.
And be sure to stop by Hoarding Books and Freda's Voice for a peek into other books.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good one! Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday! My first line is from “The Vanishing of Olivia Beck” by Sara L. Foust:

    “Olivia Beck pulled her gaze from the rearview mirror for the tenth time in as many minutes. She would not cry.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agatha Christie's books (both with Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple) are always so thrilling! I remember that I really liked The Big Four :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!

    This sounds like a really great book from the first sentence.

    On my blog this week, I'm featuring the first line from Lindsay Harrel's The Joy of Falling:

    "Once upon a time, color had dominated Eva Jamison's days."

    Hope you have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sounds of this one!! I'm sure it's good though being Christie. Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday! Today, I'm sharing the first line from Desert Willow by Patricia Beal: "Clara Malone sat alone in the airport, her grandmother's labored request rushing through her mind."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2020/04/first-line-fridays-desert-willow-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sharing the first line from The Englisch Daughter by Cindy Woodsmall and Erin Woodsmall on my blog. This book is FANTASTIC! I'm currently on chapter 17 so I'll share a line from there.
    "Roy glanced at the clock on the wall of the social services' private meeting room."
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Agatha Christie!


    I’m doing Before I Called You Mine by Nicole Deese. I’ll use the first line from Chapter 15:

    Like a grouping of cancerous cells, my family’s cynicism had slithered into my subconscious and infected my thoughts with their poison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the Poirot books I'm going to have to try. :)

    Check out my Friday spotlight and my review of Shorefall

    ReplyDelete