12 April 2019

Because of Winn-Dixie | First Line Friday + The Friday 56

The Friday 56 is hosted weekly by Freda's Voice.
First Line Friday is hosted weekly by Hoarding Books.

Happy Friday!

Because of Winn-Dixie is one of those books I neglected to read in my younger days, so I'll be remedying that today.


First Line: My name is India Opal Buloni, and last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.

From Page 56: He just stared at Gertrude and she stared at him. And then she spread her wings out real far and flew and landed on top of Winn-Dixie's head.




ABOUT THE BOOK

Funny and poignant, this 2001 Newbery Honor novel captures life in a quirky Southern town as Opal and her mangy dog, Winn-Dixie, strike up friendships among the locals. 

The summer Opal and her father, the preacher, move to Naomi, Florida, Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket—and comes out with a dog. A big, ugly, suffering dog with a sterling sense of humor. A dog she dubs Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her absent mother, one for each year Opal has been alive. Winn-Dixie is better at making friends than anyone Opal has ever known, and together they meet the local librarian, Miss Franny Block, who once fought off a bear with a copy of War and Peace. They meet Gloria Dump, who is nearly blind but sees with her heart, and Otis, an ex-con who sets the animals in his pet shop loose after hours, then lulls them with his guitar.

Opal spends all that sweet summer collecting stories about her new friends and thinking about her mother. But because of Winn-Dixie or perhaps because she has grown, Opal learns to let go, just a little, and that friendship—and forgiveness—can sneak up on you like a sudden summer storm.

Recalling the fiction of Harper Lee and Carson McCullers, here is a funny, poignant, and utterly genuine first novel from a major new talent. 


Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble


Now, feel free to leave a line from a book near you in the comments below.
And be sure to stop by Hoarding Books and Freda's Voice for a peek into other books.

16 comments:

  1. Over on my blog, I’m sharing the first line of Amanda Dykes’s novella “Up from the Sea”. Here I’ll share with you the first line from chapter 25 of the book I’m currently reading, The Governess of Penwythe Hall by Sarah E. Ladd. “They’d found her.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've been wanting to read this one. I loved the movie. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SOMEONE KNOWS”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I am sharing the first few lines from The Memory House by Rachel Hauck. It is SO awesome. You can see my post by going to: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/04/11/first-line-friday-82-2/. Currently, I am on chapter 22, so I will share a line from there.

    "The knock came late as the house rattled with the crashes and flashes of a spring thunderstorm."

    Hope you have a great weekend. Happy reading! 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this one around but haven't read it. This week I am featuring The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic!
    The book I shared today on my blog is Caught by Surprise by Jen Turano but I'm currently reading The Governess of Penwythe Hall by Sara E Ladd so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (17) here: "Delia chewed her lip as she traversed the path to Fairhold Cottage, mentally practicing what she wanted to say." Hope you have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this book. For the longest time I would tell anyone who asked that it was my favorite book. I keep wondering why I never see any comments from you on my blog? I'd love for you to visit me since I visited you. My review and quotes for SHOUT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I remember Because of Winn-Dixie. It's been a long time since I thought about this book, so thanks for the reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I remember a movie by the same name, though I haven't seen it. Haven't read the book either, but for some reason I do believe I have it on my wish list from waaaaaaaaay back. LOL. Maybe I should finally get a copy. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday!

    I've been meaning to read Because of Winn-Dixie, but I'm behind with my TBR list.

    Today on my blog, I am sharing the opening line from Susan Anne Mason’s A Worthy Heart. I’m also reading The Daughter of Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky. The first line is:

    “If she lived to be one hundred and five, Katherine Evangeline Ramsey would never understand why every debutante must begin the London social season by curtsying to the king and queen.”

    Hope you have a great weekend. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this book!
    My current read is The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker and the first line is, "Abra could almost feel the rain, even though it was only a dream."
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weddings, Willows, and Revised Expectations by V. Joy Palmer is on top of my “read this next” stack. I’m sharing from Chapter 1 on my blog, so here is the first line from the prologue:

    “A great philosopher looks at his various struggles as fodder for his innovative thinking, but, since I am not a great philosopher, I look at my struggles as something akin to stepping on a bee the size of a Komodo dragon.”

    Happy Friday and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great read!

    I'm sharing about a FREE novella by Tari Faris on my blog today, but I'm also in the middle of listening to Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell, narrated by Juliet Stevenson. I'm absolutely loving it--both the story and the narration. Here's the first line from chapter 16:

    The day arrived on which the masters were to have an interview with a deputation of the work-people.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never read the book or the movie! Probably need to remedy that. :)

    Today I'm sharing the first lines from Glory Road by Lauren K. Denton:

    "I'd been on the porch steps shelling purple hull peas for less than an hour and my thumbnails had already turned purple."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/04/first-line-fridays-glory-road-by-lauren.html

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember when this movie came out, but I never got the chance to see it. Happy reading Hallie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, this is a sweet book. I remember reading it to my 4th grade class.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I loved this one when I was little. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete