20 July 2018

The Friday 56 & First Line Friday | Murder at the Flamingo

The Friday 56 is hosted weekly by Freda's Voice.
First Line Friday is hosted weekly by Hoarding Books.

Happy Friday!

It's time for the 24 in 48 Readathon again! I've been looking forward to this weekend for weeks, and I'm excited to start reading my (mostly blue, coincidentally) TBR stack. Yes, it's a little ambitious... I'm sure I won't have time to finish all six books, but I'm planning to try nonetheless.


Now, Murder at the Flamingo will be one of the first books I pick up tomorrow, so here's a peek into it.


First Line: Heartbeat, Hamish.

From Page 56: Hamish stayed to the side. If sidling through ladies to secure a martini was part of his education, he wasn't sure he wanted to be schooled.

Quotes taken from an Advanced Reader's Copy.




ABOUT THE BOOK
“Maybe it was time to land straight in the middle of the adventure…”

Hamish DeLuca has spent most of his life trying to hide the anxiety that appears at the most inopportune times
including during his first real court case as a new lawyer. Determined to rise above his father’s expectations, Hamish runs away to Boston where his cousin, Luca Valari, is opening a fashionable nightclub in Scollay Square. When he meets his cousin's “right hand man” Reggie, Hamish wonders if his dreams for a more normal life might be at hand.

Regina “Reggie” Van Buren, heir to a New Haven fortune, has fled fine china, small talk, and the man her parents expect her to marry. Determined to make a life as the self-sufficient city girl she’s seen in her favorite Jean Arthur and Katharine Hepburn pictures, Reggie runs away to Boston, where she finds an easy secretarial job with the suave Luca Valari. But as she and Hamish work together in Luca’s glittering world, they discover a darker side to the smashing Flamingo night club.

When a corpse is discovered at the Flamingo, Reggie and Hamish quickly learn there is a vast chasm between the haves and the have-nots in 1937 Boston—and that there’s an underworld that feeds on them both. As Hamish is forced to choose between his conscience and loyalty to his beloved cousin, the unlikely sleuthing duo work to expose a murder before the darkness destroys everything they’ve worked to build.


Now, feel free to leave a line from a book near you in the comments below.
And be sure to stop by Hoarding Books and Freda's Voice for a peek into other books.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!😎

    My First Lines come from If Ever I Would Leave You by Susan May Warren.......

    “Watching you die is the last thing I want to do on a Saturday morning.” Sierra said it in a low mutter, nearly under her breath, but Ian heard it anyway, a slash across his chest, right between the ribs.

    Have a great weekend, stay cool, and Happy Reading!😊💖📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Capture the Castle. Good luck with the readathon!

    My first line is from The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. “To put it as simply as possible: this is the story of a polygamist who has an affair.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love the theme of this book, which clearly starts with the book cover!

    My Friday 56 for this week is Spilt Wine by Michael Walsh.

    Enjoy your weekend! Hope you get lots of reading done!

    Luv Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday! My first line is from Susan May Warren’s book “The Heat is On”.

    “Skye Doyle was going to get everyone killed.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. On my blog, I’m featuring The Purchased Bride by Kit Morgan. Here, I will share the first line from Chapter Four of that novel. “Herman Mayer wasn’t the brightest or the nicest man around, and he knew it.” Wishing you a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that cover! And it sounds like a fun read. Great stack of reads too. Good luck!

    My Friday 56 from The Haunted Forest Tour

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog, I'm sharing the first line from Woman of Clay by Linda Caddick. I'm currently on chapter 11, so I will share the first line from this chapter.

    "Spring burst almost overnight in a full palette of brilliant colour, transforming the world into one which barely resembled the one Shana had inhabited just a week or two before."

    Hope you have an excellent weekend filled with great reading time! 😁❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great idea! I will be reviewing Murder at the Flamingo soon. :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hoping to do 24 in 48, but unfortunately I work both days this weekend... Good luck!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Friday :)

    I'm dying to read Murder at the Flamingo. The line you choose makes me want to read it even more. I love a good mystery.

    This week's FLF is Jen Turano's A Match of Wits. I'm also reading Roseanna M. White's Circle of Spies from the Culper Ring Series:

    "Marietta Hughes was the worst widow in the history of mourning."

    Hope you have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m sharing about “Trials of the Mighty” by Kenyon T. Henry on the blog today, but I’m currently reading “Unafraid” by Carey Scott. I’ll share the first line of chapter two.

    Authentic living. What does it even mean?

    Have a great weekend and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE Rachel's new book! And I signed up for the readathon! Eeep! Maybe a bit ambitious for meright now....because #children but I'm gonna try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pile of blue books! I've recently read Fawkes, which was excellent, and I'm looking forward to reading this.

    I’m sharing from Open Circle by Stacy Monson on my blog.

    But Then There Was You by Kara Issac has just won the 2018 RITA Award for Romance with Religious or Spiritual Elements from Romance Writers of America, so I'm going to share the first line to celebrate Kara's win:

    Paige McAlister didn’t think think it was possible, but there was something worse than being single and thirty at your nineteen-year-old sister’s wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is on my "must read" pile and I'm looking forward to it. I’m sharing from A Rebel Heart by Beth White on my blog today, here’s the first line of Chapter 2:

    “Spyglass pressed to his good eye, Daughtry crouched behind a tree at the edge of the creek running through Buckner’s Ravine.”

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rachel McMillan is fabulous, great choice! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete