19 September 2015

Making It Home: Finding My Way to Peace, Identity, and Purpose by Emily T. Wierenga

★★★★★
Growing up in the murky space between Gloria Steinem and Martha Stewart has left a whole generation of women struggling to define and embrace the meaning of home. There is constant pressure to do things a certain way and often intense criticism from those who think you're doing it wrong. But what if home isn't really about whether or not you homeschool or have a career or make your own artisan bread? 

What if home is more about who you are
 than what you do?

Former subversive Emily T. Wierenga takes you on an unconventional journey through marriage, miscarriage, foster parenting, and the daily struggle of longing to be known. In this soul-stirring quest for identity in the midst of life's daily interruptions, she shows us that homemaking is much more than old-fashioned tradition; rather, it's a timeless and essential art requiring mind, body, and spirit.

I first read Emily T. Wierenga’s writing last year in Atlas Girl: Finding Home inthe Last Place I Thought to Look, and really enjoyed her ability to weave a beautiful narrative from her experience. Needless to say, I was delighted to pick up Making It Home: Finding My Way to Peace, Identity, and Purpose and find a similarly beautiful narrative. In this book, Wierenga focuses mainly on a span of a few years and shares stories of her joys and struggles, revolving around the ideas of home, identity, and faith. Inspiring, heartfelt, emotional, Making It Home is a worthwhile read and I would have no problem recommending it to interested readers.

Thanks to Baker Book Bloggers, I received a copy of Making It Home and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment