05 July 2019

A Perfect Weakness | First Line Friday + The Friday 56

The Friday 56 is hosted weekly by Freda's Voice.
First Line Friday is hosted weekly by Hoarding Books.

Happy Friday!

It's been quite the week, let me tell you. The airline lost my luggage, so the only physical book I have with me is this historical gem—I'm looking forward to starting it today.


First Line: Penelope Howard stood before a mound of earth in the church graveyard

From Page 56: "But please remember I am the housekeeper for the Hall now, Miss Howard, and it is my responsibility to order the supplies we need for his lordship's comfort. Not yours."




ABOUT THE BOOK

The Civil War left its mark on Dr. John Turner. He turns his back on medicine and sees his unexpected inheritance in England as an opportunity to start over. But he never imagines how God intends to use his new role as lord of Ashford Hall or the beautiful woman he finds there to ease his troubled soul. 

A tragic loss led Penelope Howard to bury her heart and dreams in her work for the Hall and the village of Woodley. But the arrival of the new heir stirs not only her discarded longings but her compassion as well. What burden does he carry that he can't accept that grace covers the darkest of sins? 

A deadly epidemic sweeps through Woodley revealing secrets which threaten everything. The doctor faces a choice: leave or dare to believe what the Lord whispers through the woman John has come to love. 

No one is beyond redemption.



Now, feel free to leave a line from a book near you in the comments below.
And be sure to stop by Hoarding Books and Freda's Voice for a peek into other books.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Risking Love" by Toni Shiloh:

    "Welcome to The Maple...Pit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get in her way ey lol... happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book on my bookshelf...can't wait to read it! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting story. This week I am featuring the best YA I've read so far this year - Past Perfect Life by Elizabeth Eulberg. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The housekeeper sounds like a piece of work ...


    I'm sharing from Sing a New Song by Candee Fick on my blog, which is a fun contemporary romance. I've just started reading Across the Blue by Carrie Turansky, which is set in England in 1909. Here's the first line:

    "Isabella Grayson's shoes sank into the plush red carpet of Broadlands' south hall, and she released a soft sigh. What luxury!"

    Its about the early days of aviation, and I'm enjoying it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, Friday 56...here I was trying not to find any other features/memes to participate in...OI! Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I am so sorry your luggage was lost. I hope they find it and return it to you. I haven't read too many books set during the Civil War, but not for lack of interest. This sounds really good. The housekeeper sure likes to make sure everyone knows their place, doesn't she? I hope you are enjoying this one! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hallie, I hope you’ve been reunited with your luggage! I haven’t had a chance to read Jennifer’s book, but it sounds fun. :)

    Today I’m sharing on my blog the first line from Risking Love by Toni Shiloh.

    “Welcome to the Maple... Pit.”

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sharing the first lines from The Number of Love by Roseanna M. White: "The numbers marched across the page in a glory all their own." Have a great weekend and happy reading!

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/07/first-line-fridays-number-of-love-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would like this book very much! Love your first lines. Mine is from The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay. I hope you can stop by:

    https://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2019/07/first-lines-friday-7519.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete